Intern Permits and Licensing Requirements

Important information on student intern permits and pharmacy practice licensing requirements

Consistent with the policies of the State University of New York, the University at Buffalo (UB) does not inquire about prior criminal history prior to admission. It is important to note that the New York State Education Department will require information about misdemeanor and felony convictions in its application for a New York State Intern Permit and licensure.

Applicants should be aware that a New York State Intern Permit is required for progression after completion of the first professional year of the UB School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (SPPS) PharmD program.  SPPS does not issue an Intern Permit, it is the responsibility of the New York State Department of Education, which will make any determination on individual applications for an Intern Permit.

Applicants also should be aware that after successful completion of a PharmD degree, any graduate seeking to practice pharmacy is required to obtain a license to practice pharmacy from the state in which the graduate intends to practice pharmacy. SPPS does not issue any license to practice pharmacy. Please contact the New York State Department of Education’s Office of the Professions, Division of Professional Licensing Services with questions or concerns about intern permits or NYS pharmacy practice licensure requirements here: