Frequently Asked Questions

About the UB School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences

Why should I consider applying to the UB School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences? What makes the University at Buffalo unique?
We are a national leader in education and research in both pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences and we are consistently ranked among the top pharmacy schools in the nation with an international reputation for accomplishment. We have highly productive research programs which continually secure competitive federal funding as well as other external support. Our faculty include UB and SUNY Distinguished Professors, SUNY Chancellor's Award recipents, and members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

What is the difference between pharmacy practice and pharmaceutical sciences?

Pharmacy vs. Pharmaceutical Sciences.

The doctor of pharmacy degree, also called the PharmD, is a professional degree that enables one to work as a pharmacist, interacting with patients and other health care practitioners about medications. It is not an undergraduate degree (such as a BS or BA) nor is it a graduate degree (such as an MS, MBA, or PhD). The PharmD is a professional degree for pharmacists similar to the doctor of medicine (MD) for physicians or a doctor of dental surgery (DDS) for dentists. 

A degree in pharmaceutical science or related discipline does not prepare or permit students to practice pharmacy, but enables one to do drug development and research for the pharmaceutical industry.

Where do most of your graduates practice?
PharmD graduates find positions in a variety of professional practice sites including community pharmacy, institutional pharmacy, long-term pharmacy, consultant pharmacy, the government and academia across the country. The majority of our graduates practice in the community/ambulatory care setting with very attractive salaries in virtually any state of the country.

BS students usually pursue graduate studies. Graduates with an MS or PhD degree in pharmaceutical sciences can become pharmacogeneticists, bioanalysts, clinical researchers, educators, and more. Most graduates work in industry. The rest work in government and academia.

How do PharmD graduates perform on the NAPLEX (the national licensing exam)? 
Our students benefit from being able to take the NAPLEX exam and Pharmacy Law Review Series at a convenient and comfortable location: right at the University at Buffalo!

What is the completion rate of accepted students?
See Accreditation and Assessment for our nearly perfect on-time completion rate.

What kind of organizations and associations are your students involved in?
Our students are active in many organizations and are encouraged to present at professional seminars, symposia, and special events. See Student Organizations

How long will it take to complete the program? Do you offer accelerated programs? Do you have on-line/distance learning, summer, evening, weekend or part-time classes?
The PharmD program requires four full-time years of professional study, regardless of your educational background or experiences. Courses are scheduled during the day and are available only on-campus during the fall and spring semesters. You must adhere to a set “block schedule,” which is assigned to you each semester. Dual degree programs are also available, including a PharmD/MBA, PharmD/MPH, PharmD/JD, and a PharmD/MS or PharmD/PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences.

In pharmaceutical sciences, the BS program is four full-time years of undergraduate study and the MS program is typically two full-time years of graduate study during the fall and spring semesters. The PhD program is four to six years of graduate study and students are expected to do research and take courses throughout the whole year. We also offer an accelerated BS/MS program, which is a total of five years. 

What are the tuition and fees?
Undergraduate, Graduate, and PharmD costs are listed on the Financial Aid website.

Early Assurance students are considered undergraduates in their first two years at UB. After the first year, out-of-state students may obtain residency and qualify for in-state tuition. Read more about NYS Residency Requirements for Tuition Purposes.

PhD enrollees receive stipend support with tuition waiver. Additional amounts may be received through individual assistantships and scholarships.

Do you offer financial aid or scholarships?
Yes. Begin your research with UB's Financial Aid office.

Students will be considered for scholarships through the Undergraduate Admissions process. Some awards may be offered for up to four years of study – these can be applied to the professional portion of the program for students who begin the PharmD in the third or fourth year at UB. 

To be considered for financial aid, please complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at the appropriate time. Students are advised to include parental income on the FAFSA. Also see Student Scholarships.

What is the cost of living in Buffalo?
In Buffalo, the cost of living is low and the standard of living is high. The cost of living makes the Buffalo metropolitan area among the most affordable in the U.S. with housing costs at 15% less than the national average. For more information on the Buffalo Niagara region, see Visit Us

Early Assurance Students - PharmD

What is "Early Assurance?"
Incoming freshmen entering UB directly from high school who indicate pharmacy as their major are given a heightened advantage of securing a seat in our four-year PharmD degree after completing two years of prescribed undergraduate course work and an interview. Review a comprehensive overview of our Early Assurance Program.

What SAT or ACT scores do you require?
SAT and ACT scores are evaluated by the University at Buffalo's Office of Undergraduate Admissions. There are no additional high school GPA or SAT/ACT requirements for Early Assurance students. Please visit Undergraduate Admissions (or International Admissions, when applicable), or call 716-645-6900 for the most current information regarding acceptable SAT and ACT scores. Note that SAT and ACT scores are generally only required of students entering as freshmen. Students who have enrolled in college previously and are entering with a minimum of 24 college credits may not have to supply SAT or ACT scores.

Do Early Assurance students need to take the PCAT?
No. The PCAT is only required for regular PharmCAS applicants. Students who do not meet the EA requirements after the fall semester of sophomore year may be considered through the regular/non-EA PharmCAS process during the same application period without submitting any additional materials (PCAT not required). Former EA candidates may apply via the regular/non-EA PharmCAS process during a future application period, at which time it will be required.  

Do Early Assurance students need letters of recommendation?
No. Only PharmCAS and Pharmaceutical Sciences graduate applicants need letters of recommendation.

Do Early Assurance students need to interview?
Yes. The admissions interview is a required component of the application process for all PharmD candidates. Early Assurance Program students are invited for an interview after admission to UB. In preparation for the interview, the professional program and career positioning, candidates are strongly advised to pursue additional extracurricular activities beyond the traditional classroom setting and prerequisite coursework.  Pharmacy-specific exposure is suggested, though not required. See Early Assurance Admission Requirements.

What high school courses should I take to prepare for pharmacy school?
Take as many biology, chemistry and math courses as you can. If your school offers AP, IB or college-level courses, consider challenging yourself appropriately. Note that these are merely suggestions for optimal preparation and do not reflect minimum entrance requirements.

Is it harder to gain admission to UB if I indicate pharmacy as my intended major? Would it be better to list another major, or undecided, instead?
No. In fact, if you would like to be considered for the Early Assurance option, you MUST specify pharmacy as your major on your application to the University at Buffalo or before December 31 in your first semester freshman year at UB. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions at the University at Buffalo does not use different or special criteria when evaluating intended pharmacy students for admission into the University.

I received a grade of 'C' in one of my prerequisite courses. Should I retake it to improve my EA GPA?
If a grade of 'C' or higher is earned in any course, it is not recommended for you to retake it. The repeated grade does not replace the previous grade for pre-pharmacy students applying to the PharmD program at UB. Repeat grades will not be used in computing the Early Assurance GPA. Students should be aware of the Repeat Policy which restricts repeating certain courses.

What if I get a C- in a course?  
To remain in the Early Assurance Program, students must complete all enrolled courses with a grade equal to or greater than C. Exceptions may be considered and are made on a case-by-case basis by the SPPS Admissions Committee. If you are having trouble in any course, you are encouraged to first meet with your advisor and the professor. There are also a variety of tutoring programs at UB. See a list of Academic Success Centers and Tutoring and Tutoring Services for UB Students.

What if I don’t earn a 3.3 GPA after my freshman fall year?
We understand the first semester of college is a time of transition. We will start reviewing your GPA freshman spring semester. We will, however, review your first semester grades to make sure you earn at least a 'C' in all enrolled courses (see exceptions noted in previous question).   

I know I cannot resign a course, but does that mean I cannot drop a course?
You are able to make changes to your schedule at any time during the drop/add period without any penalty. This period extends through the seventh day of classes for the semester. Refer to the Office of the Registrar for exact dates.

When can I withdraw from a course?
Students who may need to withdraw due to extenuating documented circumstances that impact their academic performance (such as medical problems, death or illness of an immediate family member or military orders) should talk with an academic advisor as soon as possible. Refer to the Undergraduate Advising resources for more information. Withdrawing from a semester does not disqualify you from EA consideration.

PharmCAS Applicants

How many PharmD applicants are accepted each year?
We receive approximately 300 applications and we admit around 125 students each fall. Competition can be affected by the size and composition of the applicant pool for a particular year.

Do you have a certain limit to the number of PharmCAS students you admit?
No. We do not differentiate between non-UB and currently enrolled UB students when making admission decisions into the PharmD program. Accepted students may be offered a scholarship to help offset the cost of out-of-state tuition.  

Do you have a preference for certain students (New York State versus out-of-state; UB versus transfer, etc.)?
No. All applicants are considered equally. UB does not have a policy that limits or favors out-of-state or in-state students. We seek well-rounded students who are motivated to provide the highest levels of patient and pharmaceutical care.

I am a non-UB student who still needs to finish the prerequisite courses, how do I apply?
If you would like to attend UB to complete your prerequisite courses, please submit the SUNY undergraduate application and indicate pharmacy as your intended major. If you are completing your coursework elsewhere, please refer to UB’s Course Equivalency Guide (CEG). You can also compare course descriptions using our undergraduate catalog to be sure you take equivalent courses. If attending a SUNY or CUNY school, visit our advising guides for detailed information on courses you should take.

I am a non-UB student who has completed all of the prerequisite courses, how do I apply?

All students are expected to meet the same criteria for admission. Once you complete the prerequisite courses, you may apply to the PharmD program using the online PharmCAS application. Please be aware that the PCAT is mandatory for all PharmCAS applicants except Early Assurance students. 

*If you have taken the GRE, MCAT, DAT, GMAT or LSAT within the last three years, we will accept those test scores in lieu of the PCAT. If you have not yet taken a graduate standardized admissions exam, you must take the PCAT.

I am currently enrolled in a professional pharmacy program at another school. Can I transfer into your program?
We do not accept the transfer of credits from another ACPE-accredited college/pharmacy school into the professional program. Therefore, students who have previously attended another professional pharmacy program must apply for admission through PharmCAS and begin the first professional year (P1) of the program at UB SPPS upon acceptance.

When can I apply and what is the application deadline for the PharmD program?
The current deadline is June 1 of each year for fall entrance into the professional program. Applicants are advised to apply well in advance of this deadline. Late applications may be considered. For undergraduate/pre-pharmacy admissions information, visit Undergraduate Admissions (or International Admissions, when applicable).

What are the criteria for admission?
In order to be considered for admission to the PharmD program, applicants must submit a PharmCAS application, complete the PharmD prerequisite courses, and take the Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT). A competitive GPA is around a B in the pre-pharmacy science and math courses. We do not have a minimum PCAT score. In addition, the Admissions Committee looks at scholastic preparation, pharmacy experiences, academic recognition or honors, extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, oral and written communication and any additional information provided by the applicant.  

Should I still apply if my grade point average or PCAT is relatively low?
Yes. Admission is competitive and our evaluation is based on all aspects of the application in addition to your grade point average. This includes your math and science grades, curriculum, PCAT scores, recommendations, essays, and interview results. Competition also varies from year to year depending upon the size and strength of the applicant pool. You should consider all of these factors and should not base your decision to apply solely on your GPA and/or your PCAT score(s). 

Do I need to have all my prerequisites completed before I apply?
No, as long as you complete your prerequisites by the time you begin the PharmD program. Make sure to indicate courses planned or in progress in PharmCAS.

How do you calculate repeated courses?
PharmCAS averages all courses together, including repeated courses. The repeated grade does not replace the previous grade.

Can I resign or withdraw from a course if it is not a prerequisite? 
The result of this action is that an 'R' or 'W' remains on your transcript. Generally, it is not advisable to resign or withdraw from a course unless you are at risk of failing the course or if it is jeopardizing successful completion of required courses. If you are not in jeopardy of failing the course, you should consider taking it pass/fail if it is an option. Please contact your instructor and academic advisor. Note to Early Assurance Program students: Do not resign from any enrolled course. An “R” grade on your transcript disqualifies you from Early Assurance.

Does it matter at which school I take my pre-pharmacy coursework?
Courses may be taken at the University at Buffalo or at any other accredited institution of higher education. For help with course articulation, refer to UB's Course Equivalency Guide (CEG). You can also compare course descriptions using our undergraduate catalog.

Do you accept Advanced Placement (AP) credit for prerequisites?
Yes. Please review the Advanced Placement (AP) credit website for articulation requirements.

Do you give preference to any major?
No. We do not give preference to any major. The most common majors are in the sciences, but UB SPPS does not have a policy that limits or favors science or arts majors. 

Do I need volunteer activities, extracurricular activities or work experience to be considered for admission?
Experience is not required; however, it is expected to be able to best demonstrate your motivation for pharmacy. Consider volunteering or shadowing at a pharmacy, hospital, nursing home, medical office, or other related health care facility or organization. Understand how professionals interact with patients and their colleagues, assess your dedication to the field, and gain valuable interpersonal and leadership skills. Consider becoming a member or leader of a club or organization. UB students can engage in research through CURCA (the Center for Undergraduate Research & Creative Activities) or through Undergraduate Academies.

What are the minimum PCAT scores considered?
We do not have a minimum Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT) requirement.

How long are my PCAT scores good?
Three years.

Do you accept the February and April PCAT even though PharmCAS will receive the scores after the deadline? 
Yes. Please note that it takes 4-6 weeks for PharmCAS to receive your official scores. To expedite the review of your application, please scan and email a copy of your unofficial preliminary Score Report to or fax it to 716-829-6568.

Do I need to submit everything to PharmCAS at the same time?
No. You can submit materials as you get them as long as all materials are received by PharmCAS before the application deadline. Your PharmCAS application and transcripts must be submitted and letters must be received by June 1.  

Can my evaluators submit letters of recommendation before I apply to the PharmD program?
No. You may ask your evaluator(s) to write a letter of recommendation, save it electronically, and later submit it during the application cycle in which you are applying. In addition to a letter, evaluators must also submit a character rating sheet, which will be emailed to them by PharmCAS when you apply. Please have your evaluators refer to the List of PharmCAS Questions for Evaluators so they can prepare a complete evaluation in advance.

I completed some of my prerequisite coursework more than 5 years ago. Will they still be considered?
Applicants may complete their prerequisites at UB and then apply to the PharmD program, or they may complete their PharmD prerequisite courses at another accredited institution. All regular applicants must complete the equivalent of two years of college coursework and successfully complete all prerequisite courses with a grade equal to or greater than 'C-' by the end of the summer semester prior to fall matriculation. All applicants must complete their prerequisite courses within 5 years preceding admission.

Can I enter in the spring semester?
No. Admission into the professional school is for fall only. If you need to complete the pre-pharmacy coursework, you may apply to Undergraduate Admissions for spring entry and later apply to the professional program. 

Do you have a supplemental application?
No, we do not require a supplemental application or fee.

Are interviews required?
Yes. Interviews are mandatory for PharmD candidates. However, not all applicants will be invited for an interview. Approximately 250 candidates are selected for an interview and will be invited via email, if selected.

Who will interview me?
Interviewers include SPPS faculty, staff, and alumni. Candidates are randomly assigned to interviewers.

What shall I expect for the interview?
See Interview Information.

How should I dress for the interview?
Professional attire is expected.

What should I bring to the admissions interview?
To participate in the interview process, proof of identification, including picture ID, is required. Pens will be distributed for your writing sample. Refreshments will be available after the interviews are complete, so you may want to bring a snack.

I really need to know if I've been accepted. When will I find out?
We begin reviewing applications late summer and continue until our class is filled (generally, by April or May). Applicants on the wait list may be notified anytime through the end of August.

Why was I wait-listed?
The Admissions Committee initially makes decisions to reject, hold, or accept a candidate before or after interviewing them. Those who were initially selected and offered admission excelled in scholastic achievement, aptitude, personal qualifications, and evidence of motivation toward pharmacy. These are judged from the college record, grade point average, the PCAT, letters of reference and evaluation, and a personal interview. In addition to intellectual and academic competence, the School's Admissions Committee considers communication skills, leadership ability, community service, health care-related or research experience and motivation for pursuing a career in pharmacy.

How do spaces in the entering class become available to applicants on the wait list? What are my chances? How many alternates are accepted each year?
The number of wait-listed applicants we accept can vary significantly from year to year. Based on the number of candidates rejected or who decline our offer of admission, candidates on the wait list may be invited for an interview (if they have not been interviewed) and ultimately accepted. Since reasons for declining an admission offer or rescinding an offer are often related to unexpected situations, it is impossible to predict the number of alternates that will be offered admission. While we cannot provide you with information regarding your likelihood of admission, we can assure you that we will work diligently to make admission offers if space becomes available. We anticipate the earliest date that this would occur to be sometime at the end of May.

Where am I on the waiting list? How soon will I know if I am selected?
We do not rank the waiting list. After the deadline has passed for admitted applicants to accept, the Admissions Committee meets to review everyone on the waitlist to determine who will fill the space(s). The waiting list remains open until the end of August.

Why was I denied?
Every year, qualified students are denied simply because there aren't enough available spaces. We have limited seats available and have to choose the "best of the best." 

I was denied. May I apply again in the future?
Yes. Take advantage of the year to improve your credentials by taking further coursework to improve your GPA, retaking the PCAT, joining professional organizations, holding an office of a student organization, or volunteering or working in a pharmacy. The application cycle for PharmCAS opens mid-July - we encourage you to apply early. Note: Applicants who reapply are not given special considerations and are reviewed along with the rest of the applicant pool.

International Students (Including Canadian)

Do I have to have my transcript evaluated?
For the PharmD program, you must provide a WES or WESiCAP. Canadian transcripts in English do not need to be evaluated. For the Pharmaceutical Sciences programs, you do not need to supply an evaluated transcript; however, we will accept it if you have it.  

Do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS?
All international students must take the TOEFL or IELTS and meet the university minimum score requirement. A minimum score of 79 is required on the Internet-Based TOEFL (IBT) to be considered for university admission. See English Proficiency for scores and exceptions.

How long are my TOEFL scores good for?
Two years.

Where do I send my TOEFL or IELTS scores?
Scores must be sent electronically (we will NOT accept paper copies).

  • PharmD applicants: Have your TOEFL or IELTS score report to PharmCAS (code 8246).
  • Pharmaceutical Sciences applicants: Please upload an unofficial copy of your TOEFL or IELTS score to your application.

Can I be waived from the TOEFL or IELTS?
All international students must take one of the tests indicated on the English Proficiency webpage and meet the university minimum score requirement. Exemptions include:

  • Continuing students currently enrolled at UB and moving from one degree level to another or one program to another (with a break of no more than one year between the 'change' from one degree level/program to the next)
  • Students transferring from another U.S. institution to UB (with a break of no more than one year between departing the previous school and enrolling at UB) who would have met UB's minimum requirements and who had a valid TOEFL/IELTS at the time they commenced study at the other institution
  • Native speakers of English who are citizens of Australia, Canada (except Quebec), New Zealand, the UK and Ireland and who were educated entirely in English are exempt. See English Proficiency for minimum score requirements and additional information on exceptions.

When will I get my I-20?
Your I-20 will be prepared approximately 4 weeks after acceptance. It will be sent to you by express courier if you live outside the US; your I-20 will be mailed to you through the regular US postal system if you live in the U.S. You will be able to view the I-20 Status and Courier information approximately 10 days after the date you received the "University at Buffalo Admission / I-20" email message. See Application Status.

Do I have to supply financial documents and bank statements?
If accepted, all PharmD, MS, and BS/MS students must complete the financial form documenting all sources of financial support with the sponsor's signature. Upload an original bank statement and English translation for the minimum required for the first year of study. See International Cost of Attendance. This is required only if admitted. PhD students do not need to supply this since they are fully-funded by the department.  

FAQ's for Accepted Canadian Students:

  • Visa
    Canadian students do NOT need a visa, however an I-20 is issued. Students just have to carry the I-20 when they cross the border (and allow some extra time at the border).
  • I-20
    Canadian citizens will be issued an I-20 Certificate of Visa Eligibility (if required for study in the U.S.), but they are not required to obtain a U.S. visa stamp (for their passport). Canadian citizens may enter the U.S. with just the I-20 form. Even though a visa stamp is not required, Canadian citizens are required to pay the SEVIS fee before going to the Port of Entry.
  • Phones
    Students should obtain a new cell phone provider with dual coverage in the U.S and Canada. AT&T offers a pay as you go plan (no contract), which can be used in North America.
  • Driver’s License
    You do not need a new license. See Driver's Licenses.
  • Car Insurance
    You do not need new insurance as long as you go back to Canada every 6 months. However, you may find it cheaper to obtain in NYS. See Car Insurance
  • Working in the U.S. 
    You can work but you will need to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT is limited to off-campus experiences that are integral to the curriculum. Not all students can qualify. Also, new international students cannot qualify for any off-campus work (including CPT) until after they complete one academic year. On-campus is the only work international students can do during their first year, and the requirements are posted on the ISSS website. See International Students: CPT and OPT Guidance for PharmD Students.
  • Health Insurance
    Students may be waived from UB’s health insurance if they are registered full-time and they have coverage. See OHIP coverage while outside Canada.
  • Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
    We are already approved. Search “Buffalo” and you will see 232 Capen. You may email the Program Information Form and other forms you need signed after you apply.
  • Drug Screen and Criminal Background Check for PharmD students
    Certiphi will email Canadian students to complete a form and provide two valid IDs (one of which must be a government-issued photo ID). Section D of the form (Identification Verification) needs to be completed by a representative of our school OR a notary.
  • For more information, contact Dr. Kal Desai, Canadian Student Advisor, or

Pharmaceutical Sciences Undergraduate Programs

How do I apply to the Pharmaceutical Sciences undergraduate BS program/major?
Students should apply during September through January 15th of their sophomore year. However, students can be considered for admission anytime starting with the next fall semester, if spaces are still available. Decisions are typically sent to applicants by April.

If you intend to transfer to UB, you should apply to the Undergraduate Admissions for general admission; and the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences Bachelor of Science Application.

Is Pharmaceutical Sciences a STEM program?
Yes, Pharmaceutical Sciences is a STEM program.

What are the prerequisite courses?
To be considered for admittance to the pharmaceutical sciences major program, applicants should have satisfactorily completed or are currently enrolled in the required courses for the first two years of the program.

Students should have an overall "B-" average or better in the prerequisite courses to be competitive for admission.

Unlike the professional pharmacy (PharmD) program, there are no requirements for entrance exams (PCAT) or letters of recommendation.

What if I am missing some prerequisite courses?
Students should not be missing more than two prerequisite courses.  Applicants with one or two missing prerequisites (biology, calculus, physics) will be considered for the pharmaceutical sciences program. However, students must make up those course deficiencies during the summer and prior to the beginning of the senior year. The pharmaceutical sciences program is sufficiently rigorous, and does not allow for majors to correct for prerequisite course deficiencies during the fall and spring semesters.

Applicants missing Organic Chemistry may be considered if their academic performance is competitive. In this instance, students might be granted provisional status with the requirement that the Organic Chemistry requirement be fulfilled prior to the beginning of the pharmaceutical sciences curriculum.

Applicants with 3 or more unfulfilled prerequisites will not be considered for admission to the program.

How many students are accepted into the Pharmaceutical Sciences undergraduate program?
Typically, around 20 students are accepted per year, out of 40-60 applicants. Students with overall GPAs of 2.80 or better are competitive for admission. 

Do I need a BS in pharmaceutical sciences to get into the professional pharmacy program (PharmD)?
No. Students interested in the professional program in pharmacy (PharmD in pharmacy) are NOT required to have a degree in pharmaceutical sciences. The pharmaceutical sciences undergraduate program is independent of the PharmD program.

What scholarship opportunities are available?

  • The Jones Award Scholarship is given every year to an outstanding senior.
  • Students are encouraged to work with faculty mentors to apply for nationally advertised research scholarships.
  • Each year, the department holds a research poster competition, where the two best posters are recognized.
  • Students may work on a research project during the summer.
  • See Financial Aid and Scholarships for more opportunities.

What courses are required for graduation?
Course descriptions and requirements are available through UB's Undergraduate Catalog.

I heard that you have to do a research project in order to graduate. How does that work?
Yes, all students are required to take PHC 498, a 3 credit undergraduate research participation project. A laboratory, computer data analysis or library research experience is an important and unique feature of the Pharmaceutical Sciences program at UB. Students with scientific research experience are highly sought after by prospective employers.

For PHC 498, students identify a faculty mentor who will guide the student through their research project. This course is highly flexible and individualized due to the nature of the one-on-one interaction between the student and faculty member. Students are exposed to research methods and hypothesis testing; the role of research methods in experimental design, execution and data analysis; and methods to communicate the research findings.

While each student is required to complete 3 credits of PHC 498, highly interested and motivated students may choose to undertake more research credits, up to a maximum of 10 credits. Students who elect to complete the minimum 3 required credits may choose to enroll in other science elective courses offered by other departments, for a minimum of 6 credits.

Pharmaceutical Sciences Graduate Program

When can I apply and what is the application deadline?
For the MS, PhD, PharmD/MS and PharmD/PhD, the application is open July through February 15.
For the BS/MS (current UB students only), the application is open July through November 1.
Late applications MAY be considered.  

Can I get the application fee waived?
In general, application fee waivers are not granted. Exceptions are made only for those who provide sufficient documentation of their participation as an undergraduate student in an EOP, HEOP or SEEK program within New York State (only), or as an undergraduate participant in the CSTEP, MARC, PREP, RISE, LSAMP or McNair Scholars programs on any campus, or as an applicant through Project 1000. If you fall into one of these categories please email and provide official supporting documentation.

Can we study part-time?
Full-time registration is satisfied by ≥ 12 credit hours per semester if you are not supported by an assistantship, and ≥ 9 credit hours/semester if you are supported by an assistantship. Registration for less than these credit hours is permitted after the student has completed his/her Departmental Preliminary Examination. Departmental policy requires that PhD students must remain full-time until the dissertation has been submitted to the Dissertation Committee. You should check with the Graduate School to ensure that your registration complies with University requirements. You should also be aware that different student-loan programs, the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service, health insurance carriers, etc. can impose different rules for full-time student registration.

Do you require a minimum GPA and GRE?
For the graduate programs, students must have around a 3.0 GPA. UB SPPS does not have a minimum GRE requirement. However, competitive applicants typically present a score of at least 300. To compute the GRE, we sum the scores for Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning.

One of my recommenders did not receive the recommendation link. Is it possible to resend it?
Yes. You should be able to resend requests for Letters of Recommendation on the Status tab. There is no limit on the number of times you can resend these requests. If a recommender's email address is incorrect on your application, contact us to correct this. Applicants cannot change any information on their applications after they have been formally submitted.

When will I receive a decision? 
MS, PhD and PharmD/MS applicants will hear by the end of April.
BS/MS applicants will hear by December.

Can I apply to two different degree programs - the PhD and the MS - at the same time?
You may apply to only one degree at a time within the same department. Occasionally, students may apply to the PhD program and be offered a seat in our MS program.  

Can I apply for the spring semester?
We only admit students in the fall semester for the BS, MS, PhD programs. Only BS/MS students (current UB students) are admitted in the spring.

How do I know if my graduate application is complete and under review?
Your application is complete when (1) you submit the application, (2) submit the application fee, (3) provide your GRE scores, and (4) we receive your letters of recommendation. Your application status will remain “Not Reviewed” until a decision has been made on your application.

Can I make changes to my graduate application?
You cannot make changes to your application after submitting for formal review. However, you may continue to upload documents. Please email if you have any changes to your application.

How many students are accepted into the Pharmaceutical Sciences graduate programs?
We receive around 100 applications for the MS program and around 150 applications for the PhD program. We admit around 13 percent and 6 percent, respectively.

Do you have a preference for certain students (New York State versus out-of-state; UB versus transfer, etc.)?
No, all applicants are considered equally. There is no residency requirement for admission. UB SPPS does not have a policy that limits or favors out-of-state or in-state students.

What courses are required for graduation?
See Required Courses.

Can students in the MS program apply to transfer into the PhD program?
Yes, but such applications are generally not considered until after completion of one full year of study in the MS program. Students who have performed well in this first year are eligible to apply for a transfer, and to compete for stipend support from the Department. MS students who are planning to apply for such a transfer should take all the required courses in the PhD curriculum when they are available, since some courses are only offered once every other year.

Can I take courses in the Pharmaceutical Sciences department without applying to the graduate programs (as a non-matriculating student)?
Yes. Here are the steps:
1. Obtain permission to take the course from the course instructor.
2. Submit a Pharmaceutics Non-Degree application.
3. Send an email message to Pharmaceutical Sciences Admissions describing your intent to register for a course as a non-matriculating student. Your application will be reviewed and processed by the Department and by the Graduate School.
4. Register for the course after approval is obtained.

What is the difference between the Pharmaceutical Sciences MS program with a focus in Pharmacometrics and the general MS program?
The MS program in Pharmacometrics is a specialized program requiring little or no laboratory research work, but more intensive computational training and experience. Students in Pharmacometrics do not generally carry out laboratory (bench) research. To be successful, students in the Pharmacometrics program must have a special aptitude toward numerical and computational analysis. UB is the first in the nation to offer a master's degree program in pharmaceutics with a focus in pharmacometrics.

Why was I denied?
Every year, qualified students are denied simply because there aren't enough available spaces. We have limited seats available and have to choose the "best of the best." We cannot provide specific reasons why each applicant was denied.

Contact Us

Have another question that is not answered here?