Join the #1 pharmacy school in New York State and #14 in the country for a unique learning experience that explores the career pathway opportunities in the professions of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences!
The University at Buffalo School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (SPPS) Pharmacy Summer Institute is an enrichment program providing information about the challenging career pathway opportunities in the profession of pharmacy and exposure to the fields of pharmacy practice and pharmaceutical sciences to interested and motivated high school and college students.
This unique day camp experience incorporates active participation in a broad scope of learning experiences, including:
- Academic advising and planning: Receive tips and guidance on how to prepare for your education and career in pharmacy practice and/or research.
- Career discovery: Learn about the diverse job opportunities for pharmacists.
- Research opportunities: Virtually visit our research labs and meet with faculty researchers in clinical and basic sciences.
- Virtual tours of facilities: Explore our internationally-recognized community of healing, learning and discovery.
- Meet pharmacy professionals, researchers and current students: Find out about working in different pharmacy settings from real-world practitioners, researchers and current UB SPPS PharmD students.
- Activities and live demos: Learn about pharmacy skills and techniques, such as patient counseling and compounding.
Admission is competitive and is based upon the following criteria:
- Open to high school and college students
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on 4.0 scale, B-letter grade, 83-86 percentile
- Application essay titled "Discuss your interest in pharmacy and describe any experience in the field"
- Resume demonstrating any extra-curricular activities, honors and awards, and a strong interest in math and science, the health sciences, and/or pharmacy
- A letter of recommendation
To apply: (applications due by June 1)
- Complete and submit application form by June 1.
- High School Students: Within the application, you must enter a valid email address for a school counselor or teacher who will receive a link for an electronic letter of recommendation. Your recommender will also need to upload your high school transcript. If your recommender is a teacher, you can either upload an unofficial transcript within your application form or your school counselor will need to email your transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org
- College Students: Within the application, you must enter a valid email address for an individual (preferably a faculty member or a supervisor) who will receive a link of an electronic letter of recommendation. UB students must list Sara Robinson, Pre-Pharmacy Academic Advisor, email@example.com. Non UB students must upload a student copy of your college transcript within the application or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Once accepted: (health/release form July 1)
- Once accepted, please complete the Health and Release Form and mail to:
Pharmacy Summer Institute
270 Pharmacy Building
Buffalo, New York 14214-8033
- Review instructions: