Costs, Financial Aid and Awards

A UB education is an excellent value. As a public university, we are only a fraction of the cost of attending a private college or university of comparable quality and opportunity. 

Stipend Support and Tuition Waivers

Full-time students in good standing in the PhD program in our Pharmaceutical Sciences program receive a full stipend (set at the NIH scale) with 100% tuition waiver. Additional amounts may be received through individual scholarships. Typically the financial support is continued until the end of the fourth year of study provided that funds are available and the student makes satisfactory progress.

Tuition and Fees

Financial Aid

If you are a US citizen and need additional help financing your education, you can apply for financial aid by filling out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. The FAFSA is an application for student aid that collects the basic information needed to determine your eligibility for all of the financial aid programs sponsored by the federal government. Students should complete these FAFSA questions as follows: 

As a graduate student, you are regarded as an independent student for federal financial aid purposes. 

  • Will you have your first bachelor’s degree before July 1? Answer YES
  • When you begin the school year, what will be your grade level? Enter 6-for 1st year graduate/professional OR Enter 7-for continuing graduate/professional or beyond
  • When you begin the school year, what degree or certificate will you be working on? Enter 8- for graduate or professional degree
  • At the beginning of the school year will you be working on a master’s or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD or graduate certificate etc.)? Answer YES

Scholarships and Awards

The department receives grants from various sources to promote academic excellence at all levels of education. In the past, scholarships and awards were provided for the BS program, including Bristol Meyer Squibb poster competition, Jones Award, and competitive undergraduate research grants supported by Pfizer and AFPE-AAPS. For the BS/MS program, scholarships from Bristol Meyer Squibb, Merck and Cognigen have been awarded.