Poison Prevention

Our Mission

To educate children who are most at risk for accidental poisonings. This website provides information that is designed to aid in educating children, parents and teachers about poison safety.

Why We Do It

In March 2016, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) released a report stating:

“About 87,400 children under five years old visited U.S. hospital emergency rooms due to unintentional poisonings in 2014 – about one every seven minutes, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reported today. Approximately 76% of these poisonings occurred while in the home.”

Program Overview

In this program, groups of professional students who are enrolled in the Doctor of Pharmacy curriculum at the University at Buffalo visit local elementary schools and daycare centers to provide a 15-20 minute presentation about poison safety to pre-K, kindergarten and first grade students. The children are also provided with poison safety activity sheets, certificates, and information to take home to their parents.

The presentations are conducted during the weeks around the National Poison Prevention Week. Along with teaching about poison safety, this program also provides our pharmacy students with an opportunity to be involved in the community and to introduce children to a valuable and accessible health resource.

If you are a local Western New York elementary school teacher and are interested in having the UB Poison Prevention Patrol visit your school, please contact the UB School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences at 716-645-4798 for more information concerning the program and its application deadline.

The Poison Prevention Patrol is organized by the University at Buffalo School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in collaboration with the national and regional Poison Control Centers.

What can I do around the house to avoid poisoning?

  • Use child-resistant packaging properly by closing the container securely after use.
  • Keep all chemicals and medicines locked up and out of sight.
  • Call the poison center 1-800-222-1222 immediately in case of poisoning.
  • When potentially harmful products are in use, never let young children out of your sight, even if you must take the child or product along when answering the phone or doorbell.
  • Keep items in original containers.
  • Leave the original labels on all products, and read the label before using.
  • Do not put decorative lamps and candles that contain lamp oil where children can reach them because lamp oil is very toxic.
  • Always leave the light on when giving or taking medicine. Check the dosage every time.
  • Avoid taking medicine in front of children. Refer to medicine as "medicine," not "candy."
  • Clean out the medicine cabinet periodically, and safely dispose of unneeded medicines when the illness for which they were prescribed is over. For more information, seek out drug disposal sites and programs that are taking place in your area and/or consult this website.